SO after a lot of fighting, blood sweat and tears the winners are here. I hope you enjoy the sweet nectar of winning round 3! Congrats to everyone that was fighting!
Congratulations to all the winners, kick back and relax, you are in the final! Take 3 weeks off and recover, sharpen your axes and get ready!
YOUR TOPIC IS: BACK FROM THE DEAD!
DEADLINE: April 22nd at 20:00 GMT+1
ZYALIN VS JOSHUA GILBREATH WINNER
- Nice world building by Zyalin! Would have loved to see that last layer of polish and refinement, which is why Joshua takes the prize here. Really interesting world/ship/creature – I think this could be more interesting and active of a composition, however.
- Joshua won according to me this time around. It had a stronger balance of details and finish. Zyalin have created something very interesting here with a lot of potential but it seems to me that it might either be rushed or lack of ability to finish it to the degree it needs. I would continue to push it in terms of finish.
1AMIRLEVI WINNER VS BRUNO ROMANOS
- Amir, nice scale and foreshortening.
- Amir took this round for me, it reads well from a distance in terms of what is happening but there is some awkwardness when it comes to anatomy, especially in the arms and hands. I think the boat in conjunction with the angle of the storm is working against the depth of the scene. The djinn is really pushing the perspective then we have the boat just next to it. Bruno had a great painting going on but the values and light is too flat and makes the way we read the image quite confusing. There isn’t really a focal point in terms of values and composition.
ANGRYSAUSAGE WINNER VS SEYYART
- Angry Sausage takes this one for me. Beautiful brushwork and textures. Seyyart, I dig the creature design. The mountain face at the right boxes the entire composition in and sucks the energy away a bit. It’s not easy to get a proper sense of scale here either – this could be helped by pulling the camera out a bit and not having both sides end in a blackish void.
- Angry got this round, even though we can see it’s a bit rushed it still manages to hold my attention. I would improve on the light and areas of focus especially in the dark areas which is the majority of the image. What happens now is that we focus on the interaction of the dragon vs the lit mountain and that is a bit one dimensional. Seyyart had a great piece and interesting idea but unfortunately the decision he made in terms of angle and composition is causing the image to be read quite flat. The mountains are modelled in a way where there isn’t really and direct lightsource and they read as a flat border. When you have such a busy focal point like the bird and the black smoke you really got to make all the pieces of this puzzle work together. As an example of where Seyyart is failing this is in the way the size and rhythm the clouds have in conjunction with the mountain ridge and the bird. I would remove the right side and the dark border, it chops of the motion of the bird but also suggests the bird will run “into the wall”
TASTYBRUSH VS SEHF WINNER
- sehf, love the palette and angle on the scene. The image feels very dynamic! TastyBrush, dug the scene as well.
- tastybrush won this one by a margin, he manage to sell the focal point a bit better than Sehf but in terms of painting and marks I prefer Sehfs. Sehf had a great idea and the composition flows quite nice but unfortunately the image reads quite flat in terms of light/contrast and edge control and the eye doesn’t really land anywhere unless you force it to observe every section of the image in a way where you try to make sense of what you are looking at. Tastybrush managed to do this a lot better.
DANIELCOTTER WINNER VS FER
- Compositionally I prefer Fer’s piece, but ultimately the finish and rendering on Daniel’s piece one this battle for me.
- Fer won this one for me, it reads quite well at first glance but when you look closer the brushwork could use more time on it. The focal points are communicated quite well but I would probably move the top orb up a bit more to create tension between the forms, at the moment it does the opposite, it becomes a part of the head. Danielcotters painting is nice but we read it quite dark and the focal points are lacking some care, his face especially feels labored and overworked. His torso and general anatomy feels undefined and odd, especially around the torso and shoulders. The legs has a nice flow though them and the wings and general motion of the image is great.
GRACE MATCH 01
KYLEBAER VS VORSP WINNER
- This was a tough one! I really loved the storytelling in Kyle’s piece, the the Turner-storm-with-dragons vibe of Vorsp’s has some interesting atmosphere.
- Vorsp won this one with nice brush work (albeit it’s lacking a bit of definition) and lovely palette. I would spend some more time on deliberate marks and working on the focal points. There is too many sloppy/unfished areas. Kyle did great but a lot of the linework is too sketchy and dirty which leads to the eye jumping around a lot. I would recommend you spend some time blocking in the shadows more so that you can direct the eye in a better way. At the moment it’s all too much up in the air.
GRACE MATCH 02
JACOB MOBLEY WINNER VS DERTYPAWS
- Jacob Mobley won this one, it’s a nice composition but the figure has some issues with it, the anatomy is quite soft and undefined and the way he painted the fur flattens the shapes significantly. The lines of the background elements works really well but the focal point which is character falls short a bit. I would work in some stronger accent colors to help guide the eye around but also the make the image pop more. Dertypaws image is cute and has a nice idea to it. The execution of the painting is good but at a closer look a lot of it becomes too stiff and the light is inconsistent on the character. Great idea and I would maybe redo it and try to come up with a way to pose the character so it’s less rigid. Currently the head and parachute creates this X through the image
GRACE MATCH 03
HELIUX VS DEERBARD WINNER
- Deerbard wins this one with very nice brush marks and texture work, lovely mood in it. Heliux has a great start here with a nice composition but I would work more on the level of finish. A lot of the image reads as unfinished. Even if it’s the style of the artist there has to be more care put into the line art, areas of light and shadow and textures.
GRACE MATCH 04
DARNISART WINNER VS
- quite messy brushwork but a funny idea. Far too much black in the image. You might want to work your image with increasingly smaller brushes to focus in on the important areas and direct out eyes.
GRACE MATCH 05
ANDREA NOSHOW VS ANIS WINNER
- nice composition and and great idea. I would work on the clouds a bit more and they read too evenly spaced and have equal depth across the image.
GRACE MATCH 06
PURRMIA WINNER VS SLUMPEN
- Purrmia won this one due to great composition and nice gradients in the colors. Slumpen had a great idea but much like sehf the rhythm of his drawing is not communicated so well. There are too many high contrast areas that steal the attention and detracts from the delivery.
GRACE MATCH 07
ATZGEE WINNER VS TEACAN
- Atzgee won, we can see the effort being put into the image and it reads quite well. The placement of the sky creature isn’t as strong and the image could be cropped slightly on the right side to help bring focus the the beast or add some element in the top right corner to warrant the offset. Teacan’s image is nice but it feels more like a sketch than a finished piece in the brushmarks, I would spend more time and care on light, marks and the face. Seeing a face from the side requires you to really model it correctly.
GRACE MATCH 08
AUMES RONOY WINNER VS CHRIS TALLERAS
- Aumes got this one, nice painting but rushed background and magic from the tail. Chis painting is good but hard to read and understand what is happening.
GRACE MATCH 09
KURU WINNER VS JIILLA
- Kuru, loved this piece! Beautiful render.
- Kuru won this one but the light is quite flat, there isn’t a real volume to the body and a lot of the forms are rendered in a way which doesn’t take the light source and the physical orientation of the body into consideration. The sword and and armored leg are seen too much from the side and it creates this sense of flatness which is working against the dynamic angle and intent of the pose. Jiilla, nice drawing but there are too many tangents happening in the image to make it work. I would have painted the airplane closer to use with the smoke billowing up behind it and through the smoke we can see the create. Currently we read it all in the same space too easily and it looks like they are attached to eachother